Citizen Journalism

The term I was tasked with unpacking was "citizen journalism". I wanted this concept because as a student who is a journalism major I think it is important to fully understand what this term's impact is within our current society.

The definition I found for citizen journalism is as follows; "journalism that is conducted by people who are not professional journalists but who disseminate information using Web sitesblogs, and social media."

I personally feel that without my journalism degree, this is a term that already applies to me. I have been an acting citizen journalist for years in accordance with the definition provided. The blog I am currently posting to is a prime example of the ability for a citizen, like myself, to spread ideas and report on information through my personal website. 

This concept has a major impact on our society and the way that individuals consume news. I know personally that I follow bloggers who are simply posting their opinions but many take their words to heart as fact. This contributes to the negative side of this news consumption because it allows for the widespread of fake news and unverifiable information.

A positive notion through these outlets of citizen journalists can be seen through various other countries and worldwide disasters. For countries with controlled media platforms, these online sources allow individuals to have their ideas and the truth of certain occurrences heard and spread in a fast and wide way. These sources also act as prime reporters in instances of catastrophe where people can share images and accounts of what they experienced on the scene of an incident.


Comments

Popular Posts