Our privacy isn't so private

After watching all of the TED talks I was truly surprised by the messages that each one conveyed. Grouping them together it becomes obvious that a lot of aspects in our lives are not as confidential as we think they are.

The first talk from Juan Enriquez brought forth a lot of great points that I completely agree with. Our digital footprint will long outlast our time here on earth, and I've noted this fact for a while. He compares everyone's online life to a permanent tattoo. This is a mindset that my parents instilled in me the moment I became active on social media accounts. It is so vital to understand that what we put out on the internet can be found and will not be erased. I personally filter what I share because not only do I care about my privacy, I also care about the image I am projecting. I want to be able to show my future employers that I am a reputable person that would be an asset for them and not someone who would be a social risk.

Catherine Crump's TED talk was the one that shocked me the most. The fact that police have the capability to record your car information every time they pass you and keep it logged is crazy to me. The specific detail they document is so mind blowing and causes me to question if my information is being collected and stored on a database somewhere, which I'm sure it is. I just don't understand how the capturing of an image as they drive past a car at any given time, without reason for it, gives them the right to file the data collected each time.

Comments

Popular Posts